Re: Debian ports for RiscPC, ARM710, etc.

Jim Pick writes:
> We could call the "armv3" distribution an "arm-acorn" distribution.
> That might make sense, especially if we decide to use halfword
> instructions for the "arm" version, so it wouldn't run on any of the
> Acorn machines.

I would strongly suggest calling the ARM for acorn machines (and other
machines) the "armv3", which will tie up with the new `uname -m` strings.

I would also strongly suggest calling the Netwinder (StrongARM with
half-word) the "armv4" since half-words are introduced into Architecture
V4, and is not allowed in V3 (if you believe the ARM architecture ref
manual).

This would then mean that we have a common base from which all the names
come from.

If anyone wants to know the exact strings that uname -m produces on
various machines, either look in the 2.1.xx source patches, or mail me
and I'll dig out the info.
   _____
  | | | |  http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/armlinux.html    /  /  |
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\