Re: Debian ports for RiscPC, ARM710, etc.

Russell King - ARM Linux Admin <linux@arm.uk.linux.org> writes:

> I would strongly suggest calling the ARM for acorn machines (and other
> machines) the "armv3", which will tie up with the new `uname -m` strings.

Agreed.

> I would also strongly suggest calling the Netwinder (StrongARM with
> half-word) the "armv4" since half-words are introduced into Architecture
> V4, and is not allowed in V3 (if you believe the ARM architecture ref
> manual).

I'll see what I can do.  We initially called it "arm" because we
didn't know any better (that was before the uname strings were settled
upon).  When I get some time, I'll talk to the maintainer of
ftp.debian.org to see what we can do about moving things around.
We'll also have to recompile all the stuff we've got so far to use the
new architecture names (not that big of a deal).

> This would then mean that we have a common base from which all the names
> come from.

I agree that would be good.

> If anyone wants to know the exact strings that uname -m produces on
> various machines, either look in the 2.1.xx source patches, or mail me
> and I'll dig out the info.

Ok.

Cheers,

 - Jim