Re: libapache-mod-* use of /etc/apache* directories

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:02:33 +0200 (CEST), Fabio Massimo Di Nitto
<fabbione@fabbione.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Jacob Anawalt wrote:
>
> > Is there a general
> > consensus on what packages should be making these directories? Would a
> > bugreport to remove them from the libapache-mod-ssl package be
> > appropriate?
>
> How does libapache-mod-ssl interact with them? A simple creation of the
> directory doesn't hurt anybody. Not in this case at least.
>
> > I've looked over the apache-ssl package and see that the preinst
> > script checks to see if the directory exists and then makes the
> > directory. I think that apache-ssl should be the only package to
> > create /etc/apache-ssl and as an end user found it a little confusing
> > to have the directories appear when I hadn't installed the package.
> >

> At the best this is a wishlist.

I think that my timing for this discussion is off. I realize you are
all very busy fixing much more important things to prepare for the
next release. I should have been playing around more seriously with
all the apache packages three months ago.

I really appreciate the apache package. I think that it is a very well
maintained package that has one of the best README.Debian files I've
looked at.

Many of my thoughts may have little value for the next release after
Sarge if apache2 becomes standard and doesn't grow a tail (eg
apache2-perl) and apache fades away.

If it looks like apache (1.3) will still be around for the release
after Sarge or if apache2-perl does grow a tail I'll return to this
thought at least a few months after Sarge releases.

--
Jacob