Re: libapache-mod-* use of /etc/apache* directories

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Jacob Anawalt wrote:

> While doing a little end-user qa testing of apache I noticed a couple
> of quirks with libapache-mod-ssl that I wanted to ask about before
> filing possibly inappropriate bug reports.
>
> The first has to deal with the existance of /etc/apache-perl/conf.d
> and /etc/apache-ssl/conf.d in the package contents. Is there a general
> consensus on what packages should be making these directories? Would a
> bugreport to remove them from the libapache-mod-ssl package be
> appropriate?

How does libapache-mod-ssl interact with them? A simple creation of the
directory doesn't hurt anybody. Not in this case at least.

> I've looked over the apache-ssl package and see that the preinst
> script checks to see if the directory exists and then makes the
> directory. I think that apache-ssl should be the only package to
> create /etc/apache-ssl and as an end user found it a little confusing
> to have the directories appear when I hadn't installed the package.

At the best this is a wishlist.

> I only hesitate to file a report because I've found at least one other
> apache module package that puts extra directories and conf files in
> /etc/apache*  so I wanted to see what the apache team though on this
> issue.

Placing files in conf.d is a normal operation. The directory has been
created exactly for that reason.

> My second concern is with the location of libapache-mod-ssl's cert's.
> They appear to install into /etc/apache/. This would make perfect
> sense if the apache-perl package didn't exist, but since it does if I
> only had apache-perl installed and installed libapache-mod-ssl, I
> would have /etc/apache and /etc/apache-perl. Since there are multiple
> apache 1.3.x servers, wouldn't it be better for files like the ssl
> certificates to go to /etc/apache-common/modulename?

No. Each server can have its own certificate sets.

> My final concern is with the modules.conf files, and I would imagine
> that this has already been thought out but my Googling didn't find the
> answer.
>
> It appears that if I currently wish to switch from apache to
> apache-perl or have them installed side-by-side I would need to copy
> the modules.conf file from one server to the other (the simple method
> but perhaps not obvious to the new user or available to the one who
> purged one server before installing the next) or I would need to
> re-install all libapache-mod-* packages so that their configure
> scripts were run on all currently installed apache* servers.

no. each server can run indipendetly from each other and any of them might
have a different set of modules loaded.

> What plan of execution does the apache team expect that the end users
> should take when switching servers or installing a second server?

That is up to the users. Not to us.

> Would it be appropriate for the apache* server package to run
> apache-modconf for every installed libapache-mod-* on postinst?

No. That's a task for libapache-mod* to do so.

> Is there a script available to run to reconfigure the modules for a
> server without re-installing the modules?

just run apache-modconf and read its man page.

Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.