libapache-mod-* use of /etc/apache* directories

While doing a little end-user qa testing of apache I noticed a couple
of quirks with libapache-mod-ssl that I wanted to ask about before
filing possibly inappropriate bug reports.

The first has to deal with the existance of /etc/apache-perl/conf.d
and /etc/apache-ssl/conf.d in the package contents. Is there a general
consensus on what packages should be making these directories? Would a
bugreport to remove them from the libapache-mod-ssl package be
appropriate?

I've looked over the apache-ssl package and see that the preinst
script checks to see if the directory exists and then makes the
directory. I think that apache-ssl should be the only package to
create /etc/apache-ssl and as an end user found it a little confusing
to have the directories appear when I hadn't installed the package.

I only hesitate to file a report because I've found at least one other
apache module package that puts extra directories and conf files in
/etc/apache*  so I wanted to see what the apache team though on this
issue.

My second concern is with the location of libapache-mod-ssl's cert's.
They appear to install into /etc/apache/. This would make perfect
sense if the apache-perl package didn't exist, but since it does if I
only had apache-perl installed and installed libapache-mod-ssl, I
would have /etc/apache and /etc/apache-perl. Since there are multiple
apache 1.3.x servers, wouldn't it be better for files like the ssl
certificates to go to /etc/apache-common/modulename?

My final concern is with the modules.conf files, and I would imagine
that this has already been thought out but my Googling didn't find the
answer.

It appears that if I currently wish to switch from apache to
apache-perl or have them installed side-by-side I would need to copy
the modules.conf file from one server to the other (the simple method
but perhaps not obvious to the new user or available to the one who
purged one server before installing the next) or I would need to
re-install all libapache-mod-* packages so that their configure
scripts were run on all currently installed apache* servers.

What plan of execution does the apache team expect that the end users
should take when switching servers or installing a second server?

Would it be appropriate for the apache* server package to run
apache-modconf for every installed libapache-mod-* on postinst?

Is there a script available to run to reconfigure the modules for a
server without re-installing the modules?

--
Jacob Anawalt