Re: kde Desktop on wheezy - nvidiacard - production ready?

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:02:46AM -0600, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> On 02/14/2013 10:47 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >
> >I do expect that these problems will be mostly sorted out by the time wheezy gets close to being
> >stable.
>
> That is really the basic question - wheezy is close - down to 211 bugs
> http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/
>
> I'm wondering if I can jump the gun and move my desktop system to wheezy now?  Or will I regret it?

When I do these upgrades I always start by copying the existing system
onto new partitions.  I make sure that the new partitions are the size
I'm going to need, based on experience, and initialize them with the
file systems I'm going to use.  (In wheezy's case, I'm moving on to
ext4)  If I don't have enough space, it's time to get a bigger disk.

I leave /home alone, and make sure that /var/mail
has its own partition, accessible  by both the original system and its
copy.  I also edit both system's /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf and their
grub configurations to reflect the new  reality.

I check that both systems boot, and that, when booted, they each have
mounted the correct partitions, and not each others'.  In the case of
lilo, I try to make it boot from a floppy, and I install the old and new
systems' lilos on different floppies.  I haven't found a comparable
trick for grub.

I stick a file somewhere in eaach partition identifying it, in case
that's easier sometime.

Then I do my massive upgrade on the copy, secure that I can reboot the
the old system in case of dire problems.  I can even use the old system
to search online for solutions fo problems.

-- hendrik