Re: Updating system with ia32-apt-get

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
MRH <misiek_spam@o2.pl> writes:
[cut]

Then you need to create an ia32-synaptic wrapper. Since ia32-apt-get
was forced to use /var/lib/ia32-apt/ as state directory instead of
/var/lib/apt/ synaptic will not see ia32- packages apart from those
already installed. It will never update as it will never see a newer
version.

Synaptic accepts and needs the same command line options as aptitude
and you can nearly copy ia32-aptitude verbatim. The only difference is
that synaptic resides in /usr/sbin. So change the CMD setting at the
top from /usr/bin to /usr/sbin like this:

  # Make sure we wrap something that exists
  CMD="/usr/sbin/$(basename "$0" | sed 's/^ia32-//')"

After that you can use "ia32-synaptic update" to update the packages
lists. "Edit->Reload Package information" will not work and give
errors so you always need to do update from the command line, same
reason as in aptitude. For everything else (installtion, removals,
browsing, ...) plain "ia32-synaptic" seems to work perfectly.

MfG
        Goswin

It works as you said, thanks :) I placed the ia32-synaptic wrapper in /usr/local/sbin and run it with gksu ia32-synaptic.

--
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann