Re: Updating system with ia32-apt-get

Norval Watson <norv2001@yahoo.com.au> writes:

> Hi Goswin,
>
> Thanks for maintaining the new ia32-apt-get, I think it is a step forward to a true multi-arch environment.
> One small question:
> When updating a system with ia32-apt-get installed, should I run
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> sudo ia32-apt-get update
> sudo ia32-apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Or is that overkill?
>
> Thanks again,
> Norv

That is overkill and might even do the wrong thing now (starting with
version 23 you don't have yet). Starting with ia32-apt-get version 23
one can blacklist packages from one architecture so packages from
another are used. The example (and default config) being wine where I
want the i386 debs to be used instead of the amd64 debs. But the
blacklisting only works for ia32-apt-get and "apt-get dist-upgrade"
would happily install the amd64 debs. Because of the ~XX added to the
version in ia32-apt-get you would then be stuck with them.

Using only "ia32-apt-get" for all things is recommended to avoid
unexpected results. But if you forget then the system won't blow up.
It is not dangerous.

MfG
        Goswin