Re: Updating system with ia32-apt-get

MRH <misiek_spam@o2.pl> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Norval Watson <norv2001@yahoo.com.au> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Goswin,
>>>
>>> Thanks for maintaining the new ia32-apt-get, I think it is a step forward to a true multi-arch environment.
>>> One small question:
>>> When updating a system with ia32-apt-get installed, should I run
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get update
>>> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>>> sudo ia32-apt-get update
>>> sudo ia32-apt-get dist-upgrade
>>>
>>> Or is that overkill?
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>> Norv
>>
>> That is overkill and might even do the wrong thing now (starting with
>> version 23 you don't have yet). Starting with ia32-apt-get version 23
>> one can blacklist packages from one architecture so packages from
>> another are used. The example (and default config) being wine where I
>> want the i386 debs to be used instead of the amd64 debs. But the
>> blacklisting only works for ia32-apt-get and "apt-get dist-upgrade"
>> would happily install the amd64 debs. Because of the ~XX added to the
>> version in ia32-apt-get you would then be stuck with them.
>>
>> Using only "ia32-apt-get" for all things is recommended to avoid
>> unexpected results. But if you forget then the system won't blow up.
>> It is not dangerous.
>>
>> MfG
>>         Goswin
>>

> What if I'm using Synaptic then? Should I ia32-apt-get update first
> then run Synaptic? But will Synaptic see the new packages and changes
> then? Or Synaptic does maintain ia32- properly and it's enough to
> click Refresh button there?

Then you need to create an ia32-synaptic wrapper. Since ia32-apt-get
was forced to use /var/lib/ia32-apt/ as state directory instead of
/var/lib/apt/ synaptic will not see ia32- packages apart from those
already installed. It will never update as it will never see a newer
version.

Synaptic accepts and needs the same command line options as aptitude
and you can nearly copy ia32-aptitude verbatim. The only difference is
that synaptic resides in /usr/sbin. So change the CMD setting at the
top from /usr/bin to /usr/sbin like this:

  # Make sure we wrap something that exists
  CMD="/usr/sbin/$(basename "$0" | sed 's/^ia32-//')"

After that you can use "ia32-synaptic update" to update the packages
lists. "Edit->Reload Package information" will not work and give
errors so you always need to do update from the command line, same
reason as in aptitude. For everything else (installtion, removals,
browsing, ...) plain "ia32-synaptic" seems to work perfectly.

MfG
        Goswin