Re: "big" machines running Debian?

lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 07:51:29AM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
>> my rule of thumb is to always have atleast 2 partitions on the first 2
>> drives (3 if I have them), for a raid1 /boot and a raid1 /. the rest of
>> the space is put into a raid device then into lvm.  That gets rid of the
>> interesting tweaks.
>
> Even with software raid1, setting up reliable boot from either drive
> if one fails can be interesting, but it has gotten a lot better than it
> used to be.

I asked about this in regards to grub2 the other day. The problem with
software raid for me is that when I switch disks the drive order gets
messed up every time. The first is that if the first disk fails hd1
becomes hd0 and so on. The other reason is that the onboard chips
can't see SATA 2 disks. So if one of the onboard disks fails I have to
move disks around to get another SATA 1 disk on the onboard port and
free a port on the SATA 2 controler. And then the disk order is usualy
scrambled up and grub fails.

Now with grub2 you don't have to specify a boot device as (hd0,0)
anymore but grub2 will suposedly find the right disk itself. This
makes is really interesting for software raid.

MfG
        Goswin