Re: "big" machines running Debian?

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 04:07:54PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> I think the limit is 1024 cores. Or was that fixed to allow more?

I think people are working on that, but not too many machines need
that yet.  Most machines with that many cores are clusters and hence
run multiple linux instances.

> As for ram that really is a cpu/architecture limit and you won't be
> able to find a motherboard that supports as much ram as the cpu(s)
> could handle.

I can't remember if the current amd64/x86_64 architecture limit is 40bit
or 44bit of physical memory space.  Fairly decent chunk of ram either way,
if you can fit it into the system in the first place.

> More than 1TB on disk? Doh. 1TB fits on a single disk. Anything up to
> 16 TB is quite trivial. Beyond that you start to hit the limit on
> filesystem size with ext3 and have to use xfs or ext4 or something. Or
> you have to partition the space iinto 16TB chunks. Also > 16 disks
> requires a big enough case or external storage. For that I would look
> into external enclosures with SAS connector. Don't use SCSI or FC.

Well at 2TB you have to switch from DOS style partition tables to GPT,
which requires the use of grub2 rather than lilo or grub, but works
fine otherwise.

--
Len Sorensen