Re: "big" machines running Debian?

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 07:08:13PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 05:10:58PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 02/25/2009 04:37 PM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > >On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 04:48:30PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Not with my NetRaid card.  It takes the physical disks and assembles
> them into virtual disks which appear to the OS as sd* of whatever size.

This begs the question why did you pick hardware raid over software raid

I have been a long supporter of software raid, but I find myself leaning
towards a HP smart array 400 and using hardware raid (looking at 10
disks in raid6).

My current thoughts are why should I have 10 channels (4 of them come
from 1 pcix card) when I could have 1 channel to the smart array. there
seem to be a few cciss utilities for me to track the array

I am waying this up against the ability to easily manage the array and
do upgrade and change disk and monitor the individual disks