Re: "big" machines running Debian?

Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com> writes:

> 2009/2/21 Igor Támara <[[igor@tamarapatino.org]]>
>
>           Hi, at some Datacenter here on my country they only want the
>      machines to be installed with RHEL or Suse, every time I dig more
>      into those distros I fall in love more with Debian.  This is why I'm
>      asking about machines that have many cores and lots of RAM and
>      plenty of disk.
>

>      Here (at my country) big means more than 4x4 cores , more than
>      16Gb of RAM, and more than 1Tb on disk, excluding clusters, also SAN
>      are good to know about.
>

> If Red Hat can support it, I don't think that there's any reason Debian
> couldn't.

I think the limit is 1024 cores. Or was that fixed to allow more?

As for ram that really is a cpu/architecture limit and you won't be
able to find a motherboard that supports as much ram as the cpu(s)
could handle.

More than 1TB on disk? Doh. 1TB fits on a single disk. Anything up to
16 TB is quite trivial. Beyond that you start to hit the limit on
filesystem size with ext3 and have to use xfs or ext4 or something. Or
you have to partition the space iinto 16TB chunks. Also > 16 disks
requires a big enough case or external storage. For that I would look
into external enclosures with SAS connector. Don't use SCSI or FC.

MfG
        Goswin