Re: "big" machines running Debian?

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On 02/25/2009 03:48 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 02:55:09PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> Who boots off of (or puts / on) a 2TB partition?
>>
>> Someone with a 4 drive raid5 on a hardware controller with 750GB SATA
>> drives.  Hence the only drive in the system is a 2.25TB device with
>> partitions and everything on it.  The root partition isn't very big,
>> but it's on a drive that is bigger than 2TB and hence needs something
>> other than a DOS partition table.
>>

> Ah.  The minicomputer tradition I come from (and thus how I organized
> my home PC) is to have a relatively small OS/swap disk and a separate
> "data" array.
>
> Of course, max device size always gets bigger, and smaller devices
> fall off the market...

I'm aiming for a small SSD disk for the system and seperate "data"
array that can be spun down most of the time.

>> It doesn't take much with modern SATA drives to hit 2TB.  Given we can
>> get 1.5TB in a single drive, how many months before we can get 2TB in
>> a single disk.
>>

> Later this year.

Waiting for them. 1.5TB disks don't mix so well with 1TB disks in
raid. I don't want to split the disks into 0.5TB partitions and then
raid over those.

Anyone know how/if windows copes with 2TB disks? Does it understand
GPT too?

MfG
        Goswin