Re: "big" machines running Debian?

On 02/25/2009 04:26 PM, Ian McDonald wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 02/25/2009 03:48 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 02:55:09PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
Who boots off of (or puts / on) a 2TB partition?

Someone with a 4 drive raid5 on a hardware controller with 750GB SATA
drives.  Hence the only drive in the system is a 2.25TB device with
partitions and everything on it.  The root partition isn't very big,
but it's on a drive that is bigger than 2TB and hence needs something
other than a DOS partition table.

Ah. The minicomputer tradition I come from (and thus how I organized my home PC) is to have a relatively small OS/swap disk and a separate "data" array.

Of course, max device size always gets bigger, and smaller devices fall off the market...

It doesn't take much with modern SATA drives to hit 2TB.  Given we can
get 1.5TB in a single drive, how many months before we can get 2TB in
a single disk.

Later this year.

Last month actually..

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/01/27/review_internal_hard_drive_wd_caviar_green_2tb/

And at only a 15% premium to two 1TB drives...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136337
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136344

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

The feeling of disgust at seeing a human female in a Relationship
with a chimp male is Homininphobia, and you should be ashamed of
yourself.