Re: "big" machines running Debian?

On 02/26/2009 05:54 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:36:20AM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
true, depends on whos rule of thumb you use. I have seen places where
mandate fc drives only in the data center - get very expensive when you
want lots of disk space.

Also the disk space might not be need for feeding across the network, db
aren't the only thing that chew through disk space.

the op did specific enterprise, I was think very large enterprise, the
sort of people who mandate scsi or sas only drives in their data centre

Perhaps.  I think some people make hard rules where in fact they would
get a much better result by thinking instead for each case.  Of course
thinking can be hard, and it is much easier to just follow a hard rule
so you don't get in trouble for making a decision.

Ehh.

Most DC managers have a bit more clue and good reasons than simply rules for rules' sake.

Mainly logistics: if all the center's disks are SAS (or whatever other standard you choose) in only one or two vendor's SANs (or whatever other cabinet you choose), it makes the Operation staff's job a whole lot easier, thus helping to ensure greater uptime.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

The feeling of disgust at seeing a human female in a Relationship
with a chimp male is Homininphobia, and you should be ashamed of
yourself.