Re: "big" machines running Debian?

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 04:07:54PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
More than 1TB on disk? Doh. 1TB fits on a single disk. Anything up to
16 TB is quite trivial. Beyond that you start to hit the limit on
filesystem size with ext3 and have to use xfs or ext4 or something. Or
you have to partition the space iinto 16TB chunks. Also > 16 disks
requires a big enough case or external storage. For that I would look
into external enclosures with SAS connector. Don't use SCSI or FC.

Well at 2TB you have to switch from DOS style partition tables to GPT,
which requires the use of grub2 rather than lilo or grub, but works
fine otherwise.

Only if you want partitions, we usually don't for large data filesystems where the large filesystem sizes are relevant.

As Goswin mentioned, you probably want to look at a different filesystem than ext3 for non-trivial fs sizes, not only due to limits but also perforamance.

/Mattias Wadenstein