Re: ??'m using asus

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:22:04PM +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 15:56 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> > Probably, after you get the system installed.  Doing a net install
> > without a network port is a pain.
> >
> > One could install an old spare network card to do the install, then
> > upgrade the kernel and then use the built in network I suppose.
>
> That's probably the easiest way.  If you haven't got a spare NIC handy
> then second hand one from computer fairs are very cheap.
>
> The other way (if you have a spare AMD64 system) is to install on that
> system and then just move the disks.  I've used that method to install
> embedded systems which don't have a CDROM drive by using my laptop.  Bit
> of a bugger moving the disk, not as easy as plugging a spare NIC into a
> PCI slot, but it works.

If you have a spare null-modem cable you can also network over that to
another computer.  Of course, if you're on dialup, just hook up to the
modem normally.

The questions for the OP are:

	Do you want the stability of Stable (Etch) or can you tolerate
	things breaking for a while before getting fixed (Lenny) or are
	you experienced enough to run Sid and perhaps need to
	occasionally downgrade a package?

	Also, for what use is this box?

	Also, what video do you use?  E.g. if it needs the latest nVidia
	driver (won't work with either nv or the nVidia driver in Etch),
	then this is a factor to decide as well.

Doug.