Re: nvidia and latest unstable kernel image

C. Ahlstrom wrote:
>> The kernel has its own location for files so it isn't usually a big
>> deal, although using make-kpkg (from kernel-package) makes it trivial to
>> have your own kernel installed using the package system.
>

>0.  make mrproper
0.5   cp /boot/config .config
>1.    make menuconfig
>2.    make
>2.5   modules
>3     make modules_install
>4.    depmod -a
>5.    mkinitramfs
>6.    make install

>    copy files to /boot
>    modify grub/menu.lst
>
> THe only part that bugs me is the menuconfig.  I'd really like to make a
> kernel that builds /only/ the parts my laptop needs, but I have no idea
> what comprises that set!

You are missing a few steps. I have modified your list, a bit. There is another way, the Debian way, that makes it almost trivial. It requires the Debian kernel package and the Debian kernel tools. If you run gnome you can substitute make gconfig for make menuconfig. much better.

You can copy the old

Mark Allums