Re: How would I get debian unstable?

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 01:46:35AM -0400, Robert Isaac wrote:

> > Note that the reason that OpenBSD can claim only two security holes in
> > the default install in the past 10 years is that there are no services
> > active in a default install (you have to add commands to the startup
> > script to enable them).
>
> Except they don't make that claim, OpenBSD claims two _remote_
> security holes in the last ten years, which is entirely different from
> only two security holes.  They aren't making any claims about local
> exploits.

I'll have to look into that and see what it was exactly.

> > People reoutinely built appliances like routers using OpenBSD and e.g. a
> > Soekris box and put it on the shelf.  They may only update it when a
> > security bug happens (rarely).  Since there are simple HOWTOs for making
> > OpenBSD on a CF card, updating the appliance consists of swapping the CF
> > card.
>
> People do the same thing using variants of the Linux kernel.  The bsd
> kernel is nothing special in that regard :)

Well, I suppose the difference is that you can do it with a stock
OpenBSD kernel with all the security audits happening to it, where as
with linux its a "variant" with who-knows doing the audit.  Then there's
the licensing thing: have to supply the source for the kernel variant
and everything else (GPL).  Even if that's not a philisophical problem,
it may be a logistical one.