Re: boot screen

On Tuesday 20 May 2008 12.49.03 Philip Bernstein wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      I have several systems and on them when I boot I can see all the
> info scroll across the screen with OK or FAIL (on the right hand side)
> depending on how things go (in menu.lst I have removed from the boot
> lines "splash" so I don't get the boot splash).
> But on my amd64 system the boot messages are quite large and I can't see
> the OK or FAIL indicators (on the right hand side of the display).  Now
> on the other systems I see that there is on the boot line in menu.lst
> "vga=791". I tried to put that in the amd64 menu.lst and all I get is a
> blank screen during boot up.  After the system boots, everything is fine
> and  get my graphics back and all works.  Anyone notice this during
> there boot up and found how to reduce the graphics on boot up so you can
> see whats going on?
>
> --
> Philip Bernstein
> ppberns@hvc.rr.com

Hi,

The vga=xxx values usually depends on the monitor, look inside the
file /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt. For my 19" LCD I use
vga=0x31b (1280x1024, 32-bit).

You may also need something like video=vesafb:1280x1024-32 to get it working.

// Anders
--
<doogie> Thinking is dangerous.  It leads to ideas.
	-- Seen on #Debian