Re: Error message 'std::bad_alloc'

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:04:56AM -0700, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> I am looking for the meaning of the following error message:
>
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
>    what(): St9bad_alloc
> Aborted
>

> which occurs on running a chemical computational program (serial run) on a eighth logical 875 opterons system with 24GB RAM (all activated with shmmax and also setting the stack size to 'unlimited'), Debian amd64 etch.
>
> The maintainers of the computational program wrote:
>
> "A little gooogggling of
> debian std::bad_alloc
> didn't find much.  Naturally you should verify that all the
> debian/glib/gcc patches have been applied."
>
> The computational program was gcc compiled on my previous system with four logical 265 opterons and 16GB RAM and I am using the same raid1 HDD with the new system, where of course I have reset shmmax. The simulation concerns docking a molecule onto a protein. When the molecule is slightly smaller, no error message occurs and the procedure ends correctly; therefore I don't understand why the maintainer allude to a possible lack of patches. The same events occurred on the 265 system mentioned above, and the maintainers thought there was not enough RAM. For intrinsic reasons of the molecular system treated, the procedure can't be run parallel; in any case I should launch
>
> mpirun -np 1 (not 8) ...

The std:: would to me make me think C++ namespace 'std' function
'bad_alloc'.  So probably a bad_alloc function exists in C++ and is
returning an error.

I personally try to avoid dealing with C++ code anymore.  It is getting
too ugly after the STL stuff went in.

Try a search for 'C++ bad_alloc' and you will find lots of stuff on
bad_alloc in the C++ std library.  About 45000 hits in google.