Re: Minor issues with etch on Supermicro H8QCE motherboard and a question

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:50:37AM -0700, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> The first minor issue is that to establish networking with my new system (quad-socket dual-opteron amd64 etch on Supermicro H8QCE motherboard), i.e. to connect through the router, command
>
> # dhclient
>
> is needed. Where to set automatic networking on boot?

You should be able to configure that in /etc/network/interfaces

Something like:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

> ____________
> The second minor issue is that having discovered that gnome is installed (never used, so I forgot) I tried it
>
> $ startx
> OK
>
> then
>
> $gnome-session
> SESSION_MANAGER=local/deb64:/tmp/.ICE-unix/4731
> Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file /home/francesc/.metacity/sessions/default0.ms: Failed to open file '/home/francesco/.metacity/sessions/default0.ms': No such file or directory
> **Message: Not starting remote desktop server

Gnome session can only run inside X, so you would have to put

t in .xsession or something like that.

For example a .xsession file (in your home directory) could be:

-----
#!/bin/sh

exec gnome-session
-----

> Does it simply mean that another window manager than metacity was selected?  Gnome is opened correctly.
> ___________
>
> The anticipated question is: I have Disabled the parallel port on BIOS. In order to save resources, is it safe to disable serial ports?

If nothing connects to them, it is perfectly safe to disable them.

> The situation as I received the board was
>
> Super IO Configuration
>
> Serial Port1 Address 3F8/IRQ3
> Serial Port2 Address 2F8/IRQ3
> Serial Port 2 Mode Normal
>
> I disabled both ports, whereby the third line above disappeared. The, I met the issue above and I thought it was related to the "Disable" operation. Therefore, I activated both ports again. For port1 3F8/IRQ3 was not available, and The present setting is:
>
> Serial Port1 Address 3F8/IRQ4
> Serial Port 2 Address 2F8/IRQ3
> Parallel Port Mode Disabled

Those are certainly the standard serial ports (3F8 is always IRQ4 and
2F8 is always IRQ3).

> Physically there is only one COM port, indicated COM1

I can't see any way disabling unused ports could affect things.  Lots of
laptops don't even have any in the first place so the software isn't
going to require serial or parallel ports to be present.  Of course it
isn't really likely that the resources are required for anything else so
enabled or disabled doesn't really matter.