Re: apt-* vs aptitude vs synaptic

Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
Dear maintainers,

it seems for me, that the commandline tool "apt", the ncurses tool "aptitude" and the graphical tool "synaptic" might use different databases. So I need a little more background (and knowledge) about this, otherwise I cannot explain myself, why "apt-get dist-upgrade" is giving another result as "aptitude" (in my case "apt-get dist-upgrade" wants to deinstall some openoffice.org-packages, beryl* and some other, but "aptitude" will not want to deinstall those).

Are they using all different databases ? Or is it just related to some configuration ?

I looked into the manuals, but found no explanation...

Regards

Hans
The following contributions from debian-user (linux.debian.user) contain some hints:

Re: Packages temporarily disappearing from Testing/Lenny

apt-get auto-recommends (was Re: Packages temporarily ...)

Regards,
Jörg-Volker.