installing amd64 etch on an hp G6062 laptop...

Dear Debianists,

I got an HP Turion AMD 64 laptop.  It was sent with Windows Vista on it.

I fired it up and installed Vista etc.

Then I installed Debian AMD64 Etch.

I used the partitioner in the installer to chop the C drive dos partition into two creating free space of around 50 GB or so.

I then used the partioner to create a Linux partition and installed Debian.

The partitioner made a little swap partition of around 2GB or so.

I now have a dual boot machine that hops between Windows and Debian.

I need the Windows for some unusual scientific software I run.

Most of the time I would be using Debian however.

But there are a few problems at present.

One is that the xserver can't get the laptop on monitor to work yet.

I have sent a detailed email to HP (and phoned them) to get the horizontal and vertical sync ranges for the 15.4" WXGA 1280 x 800 monitor I am using.

I will enter them into the xserver configuration routine when I get the numbers.  I will also post them on the forum here.

I tell the xserver that I am using a regular 3 way mouse but of course I am using a laptop.  Is that OK?

It thinks I have a general monitor.

Also this laptop uses a Nvidia nforce network controller NOT a standard ethernet NIC card.  Thus the installer doesn't recognise the ethernet card and I have no internet connection in Debian.

I know that Nvidia has drivers for linux and that e.g for the graphics cards you can use the non free drivers and install them in Debian and there is a web page explaining how to do that etc.

But I am not sure yet if there is a way to get the nvidia nforce controller working in Debian at the moment.

I will google it and see what I can find.

I will keep hacking away and once I get the laptop sorted I will post any useful info up on what I did with it to get it working.

Comments appreciated

Regards

Michael Fothergill

Welcome to the next generation of Windows Live
http://www.windowslive.co.uk/get-live