Re: Graphics cards with Free drivers

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:08:44AM +0000, A J Stiles wrote:
> I'm thinking of buying a new 64-bit machine to use as my home desktop.  (It
> will probably run Sid.)
>
> Does anyone know of a graphics card which is definitely supported by Free
> drivers?

Already mentioned in this thread are the various ati, nvidia drivers and
the intel onboard chips.

No mention so far of VIA Unichrome cards. Via says it will support open
source:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/resources/pressroom/pressrelease.jsp?press_release_no=2088
and according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Video_Motion_Compensation#VIA is the best
bet for XvMC. S3 apparently sells them, but the last S3 cards I used
didn't make a to good impression though that was a long long time ago (Virge).

--

 When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

   Daniel Tryba