Re: Graphics cards with Free drivers

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 07:56:13PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> Other than games, for what is 3d used?  Does it take 3d to render a
> movie full-screen using the hardware, or is that a 2d function?

Effects like those in compiz and beryl do use openGL, so it is used for
things other than games.  And of course some screensavers can use openGL
for pretty effects and such.

> I _do_ know that the nVidia driver on my EN7300 card produces faster
> rendering of e.g. kpdf or iceweasel and a clearer picture when watching
> movies (full-screen on my CRT 1600x1200, deinterlaced blend) than when I
> use the nv driver.

I don't think the nv driver uses the hardware to accalerate video
decoding, while the binary driver has XvMC support and works quite well.