Re: installing amd64 etch on an hp G6062 laptop...

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:39:34AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> Dear Debianists,
>
> I got an HP Turion AMD 64 laptop.  It was sent with Windows Vista on it.
>
> I fired it up and installed Vista etc.
>
> Then I installed Debian AMD64 Etch.
>
> I used the partitioner in the installer to chop the C drive dos partition into two creating free space of around 50 GB or so.
>
> I then used the partioner to create a Linux partition and installed Debian.
>
> The partitioner made a little swap partition of around 2GB or so.
>
> I now have a dual boot machine that hops between Windows and Debian.
>
> I need the Windows for some unusual scientific software I run.
>
> Most of the time I would be using Debian however.
>
> But there are a few problems at present.
>
> One is that the xserver can't get the laptop on monitor to work yet.
>
> I have sent a detailed email to HP (and phoned them) to get the horizontal and vertical sync ranges for the 15.4" WXGA 1280 x 800 monitor I am using.

For an internal LCD those don't apply anymore.  Vertical will be 60Hz
and horizontal will be whatever works for that resolution at 60Hz.  The
driver should auto detect it anyhow.  Of course if the hardware is newer
than Etch, then there probably is no driver and you are out of luck
unless you decide to upgrade to Lenny instead.

> I will enter them into the xserver configuration routine when I get the numbers.  I will also post them on the forum here.
>
> I tell the xserver that I am using a regular 3 way mouse but of course I am using a laptop.  Is that OK?

If the laptop only has two buttons, then you generally want to tell it
that it should emulate 3 buttons, so that hitting both the buttons
together will generate a middle click.  After all X does require 3
buttons.

> It thinks I have a general monitor.
>
> Also this laptop uses a Nvidia nforce network controller NOT a standard ethernet NIC card.  Thus the installer doesn't recognise the ethernet card and I have no internet connection in Debian.

Nvidia's ethernet is just as standard as any other ethernet chip.  Most
likely your nvidia is simply too new for the driver in Etch.

> I know that Nvidia has drivers for linux and that e.g for the graphics cards you can use the non free drivers and install them in Debian and there is a web page explaining how to do that etc.
>
> But I am not sure yet if there is a way to get the nvidia nforce controller working in Debian at the moment.

Install using Lenny is almost certainly the answer.  Etch was almost
certainly released before the chipset in your machine was even designed.
Hard to make drivers for hardware that hasn't been invented yet.