Re: Graphics cards with Free drivers

Jo Shields wrote:
On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 15:49 +0000, A J Stiles wrote:
On Tuesday 08 Apr 2008, Dean Hamstead wrote:

Please define "most". (That's the driver I'm using on my machine at work, which is fitted with an older nVidia card.) I want to be certain that whatever I buy will work correctly with 100% Free software.

SUPPORTED HARDWARE
       The  nv  driver  supports  PCI, PCI-Express and AGP video cards
       based on the following NVIDIA chips:

       RIVA 128              NV3

       RIVA TNT              NV4

       RIVA TNT2             NV5

       GeForce 256, QUADRO   NV10

       GeForce2, QUADRO2     NV11 & NV15

       GeForce3, QUADRO DCC  NV20

       nForce, nForce2       NV1A, NV1F

       GeForce4, QUADRO4     NV17, NV18, NV25, NV28

       GeForce FX, QUADRO FX NV30, NV31, NV34, NV35, NV36, NV37, NV38

       GeForce 6XXX          NV40, NV41, NV43, NV44, NV45, C51

       GeForce 7XXX          G70, G71, G72, G73

The nv driver is "alleged" to work with 7000-series cards, but it has issues on my systems with a 7800 GT and typically, an nforce 4 chipset Asus motherboard. I have never successfully gotten it to work in that combination. The vesa driver works, but...meh. I choose to use the Nvidia closed driver because it works well and has few hassles. I have no reason to believe than Nvidia will cripple that driver in the future. I will worry about that problem when it happens. Until then, I'm happy.

       GeForce 8XXX          G80, G84, G86, G92

--
Mark Allums