Re: Graphics cards with Free drivers

the reverse engineered nvidia driver is working now,

cant recall the name of it.

is there any reason you cant use with nvidia blob? it works well in linux and in debian

just go

apt-get install module-assistant
m-a prepare nvidia
m-a a-i nvidia
apt-get install nvidia-settings nvidia-glx

viola! just need to configure X somewhat.

the basic 'nv' driver will work for most nvidia cards, but its largely just rudimentry 2d support.

there is nvidia drivers for 32bit and 64bit, no need to cut your teeth on reverse engineered drivers unless you have some compelling reason to buy an amd64 and run an older card.

Dean

A J Stiles wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a new 64-bit machine to use as my home desktop. (It will probably run Sid.)

Does anyone know of a graphics card which is definitely supported by Free drivers?