Re: Graphics cards with Free drivers

> >SUPPORTED HARDWARE
> >
> >       GeForce 8XXX          G80, G84, G86, G92

Just a data point: I am running LInux 2.6.18-5-amd64 on a ATI-based
motherboard and a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, with
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8600 GT (rev a1)

The nv driver works "out of the box", without even having a xorg.conf.
I have had problems with the closed-source nvidia driver, got it to work with
some kernels, but not with the current one. The later ones had problems with
KDE's KIO handler for the fish protocol, which I want to use in my KOrganizer
to access remote calendars.

Some day "real soon now" I will try with the latest kernels, to see if I
can't get the nvidia driver to work. I would like some 3d graphics for the
few games I occasionally play...

-Heikki

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk