Re: Graphics cards with Free drivers

On Tuesday 08 Apr 2008, Dean Hamstead wrote:
> the reverse engineered nvidia driver is working now,
>
> cant recall the name of it.
>
> is there any reason you cant use with nvidia blob?

Yes:  it's a binary blob, i.e. it doesn't include any Source Code.  That is a
fairly compelling reason not to run it, I think.

> the basic 'nv' driver will work for most nvidia cards, but its largely
> just rudimentry 2d support.

Please define "most".  (That's the driver I'm using on my machine at work,
which is fitted with an older nVidia card.)  I want to be certain that
whatever I buy will work correctly with 100% Free software.

> there is nvidia drivers for 32bit and 64bit, no need to cut your teeth
> on reverse engineered drivers unless you have some compelling reason to
> buy an amd64 and run an older card.

Unless and until the European Union step in and rule binary-only drivers to be
illegal, anyone who uses them is entirely at the mercy of hardware vendors --
vide recent developments with Creative sound card drivers in the Windows
world.

I care about not being shafted that way myself, and I care about other people
not being shafted in future.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk