Re: Fwd: P5K-VM v BFG NVidia 8800GT OC

The bios got updated a few weeks ago to the most recent version. I just realised that I can just reinstall Debian, this time with the videocard plugged in from the start, and then upgrade that way. I'll try that and see how it goes.

I removed the videocard and booted into a 2gb setup. seems ok, but that's not unexpected: it worked fine with 4gb RAM too.

In answer to these qns:
only part way through booting linux does it go blank?  Is
there still disk activity after it goes blank?

Yes to the first, and the keyboard appears to function just fine, so it looks like it's a video issue only (thank God).

Kind regards
Mass

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 05:41:24PM -0400, Massimo Savino wrote:
> Quick question: If I am able to boot to console with only 2gb RAM, which
> part do I replace? (If I can boot to console with only 2gb RAM, I can then
> install the NVidia drivers)
>
>    1. The motherboard?
>    2. The RAM I removed?
>    3. The RAM I left?
>    4. All 4 sticks?

Then I would start to check for BIOS settings to do with memory hoisting
or mapping and such, and also make sure the BIOS is up to date.

If it doesn't, there still may be hope that a bios update or some bios
setting would resolve any issues.

Does it show anything on the nvidia card when you boot (like bios and
such) and only part way through booting linux does it go blank?  Is
there still disk activity after it goes blank?

> Just as a side note, I called BFG Technologies on the off-chance they might
> help (they boast of a 24-hour live support in North America, so I figured
> I'd try it). Worse than useless: 'We don't support Linux' I was about to ask
> if they knew of any support links online to check.
>
> They hung up on me. Nice, eh?
>
> On the other hand, I really do appreciate everyone's patience with me here
> in this forum.

Well I guess one could always try installing windows on it to see if
that works. :)