Re: SuperMicro Super 7 X7SBi

On Thursday 03 Apr 2008, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Which controller is the DVD connected to?

The DVD drive is connected to the onboard IDE controller as secondary slave.
I thought all optical drives were the same, driver-wise?

> Maybe your controller isn't supported by 2.6.18 in etch.  The 3ware
> obviously is and USB as well.

So how does it ever manage to boot up the installation disk at all in the
first place, then?

> Don't bother with kernel.org, grab the linux-image from unstable
> instead since it has 2.6.24.  Much less messy.  After all if there is a
> package for it use it.  Only when there isn't should you bother with the
> source.  It keeps the system neat and tidy.

I got the kernel to compile and boot  (after much wailing and gnashing of
teeth; first time around I forgot the initial ramdisk image, so I got errors
about unknown block devices.  In the 2.2 and 2.4 days, I always put stuff
that was needed for booting straight into the kernel, not as a module.  And
somehow my lilo.conf was not updated correctly when I installed the new
linux-image with initrtd.)

Still no joy with the DVD drive.

I think I'm going to get back to the supplier, and ask them what driver they
used when they tested it before it left the workshop.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk