Re: 64-bit and chroot

On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 04:34:14PM +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> The application is called "X-Plane", it is is a famous flight simulator, but
> closed source. Of course it is not in Debian, as the license does not allow
> it.

I tried the x-plane 9 beta demo on my amd64 system and it only took
copying a couple of lbiraries from my i386 system to make it work.  I
think openal libs were the main thing.  Running ldd on the binary will
tell you which ones are missing, and if you provide the i386 versions of
those you will be all set.

> Anyway, if I am understanding your words correctly, then the 32-bit
> applications will always know, which lib it has to use, if it is available
> and can be found on the system ?

The loader looks at the binary, sees the list of dynamic libraries to
load with the binary, and the loader knows what the library search path
is and goes and looks.

> So my way using a chroot is correct and will not cause trouble. Nice to hear
> this ! This is really great !

For xplane I didn't bother with a chroot.  The ia32 libs package took
care of 90%, and I think 2 or 3 extra manually copied libraries was
enough to run it.