Re: 64-bit and chroot

El dv 07 de 03 del 2008 a les 16:51 +0100, en/na Hans-J. Ullrich va
escriure:
> Now my question: To make sure, an application will use the correct library, it
> must be sure, that the correct library will be used, even the 64-bit-library
> and the 32-bit-library have got the same name.
> The only way, to ensure this, is to tell the sourcecode somehow, that it has
> to use the 32-bit library or the 64-bit-library.

Absolutely not, unless they're private libraries using hard coded paths.

> IMO this would work fine, if 32-bit-lib and the 64-bit-lib will get different
> names, and the source code has to be changed, to point to the correct lib.

You don't need to change the source code, just give the right
configuration.

> I do not know, if this is already implemented,

Certainly, if you read
(start from "Remember to add the repository")
you'll find a repository and won't need the chroot anymore.

> there are still a lot of
> (non-gpl) applications, which are still only available as 32-bit-versions.

If you tell me what are those applications, what libraries they need, if
the i386 counterpart is already in Debian... I may be able to help you.

Bye.