Re: Package xserver-xorg-core and Nvidia

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 05:21:59PM +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> 1. delete all /usr/src/modules/nv*

Fine.

> 2. delete /usr/src/nvidia-source*.tgz

Deleting file beloging to packages is generally a bad plan.  Don't do
that.

> 3. delete all formerly built packages (i.e. nvidia-kernel-bla***.deb)

Helps to clean up, although not really essential.

> 4. deinstall nvidia-source and reinstall the new nvidia-source

This of course deletes the /usr/src/nvidia*tgz stuff for you since it
actually owns that file.

> 5. start module-assistant and choose nvidia-kernel and let it build and
> install

Except the current driver in unstable doesn't get along with
module-assistant due to a "wrong" filename.  A symlink or some manual
intervention helps.  I just manually do:
cd /usr/src;tar xjf nvidia-kernel.tar.bz2
then run:
m-a a-i -t nvidia-kernel

> 6. apt-get update, apt-get upgrade let you now install the newest package
> nvidia-glx
> 7. update all xserver-xorg* packages.
> 8. Have fun !

That usually works yes.

> The latest version (167.07) is running stable !

Once you get it installed it does work well.