Re: Package xserver-xorg-core and Nvidia

Am Sonntag, 20. Januar 2008 schrieb Karl Schmidt:
> I think I shouldn't have updated to lenny -- I can't get nvidia working and
> I need it for a dual head setup (I don't think the "nv" driver can do
> this).
>
> Not sure which way to go from here:
>
> * Use the nvidia supplied drivers? (I've never done this)
>
> * Is there a way to use the etch drivers?
>
> * Get Some other card that has an open driver that supports dual head
> display?

> Karl Schmidt                         EMail Karl@xtronics.com
> Transtronics, Inc.                     WEB http://xtronics.com
> 3209 West 9th Street                    Ph (785) 841-3089
> Lawrence, KS 66049                     FAX (785) 841-0434
>
> If man's brain was simple enough for us to understand,
> we would be too simple to understand it.

Hi !

To get the newest NVidia-packages installed and built, you can follow these
steps:

1. delete all /usr/src/modules/nv*
2. delete /usr/src/nvidia-source*.tgz
3. delete all formerly built packages (i.e. nvidia-kernel-bla***.deb)
4. deinstall nvidia-source and reinstall the new nvidia-source
5. start module-assistant and choose nvidia-kernel and let it build and
install
6. apt-get update, apt-get upgrade let you now install the newest package
nvidia-glx
7. update all xserver-xorg* packages.
8. Have fun !

The latest version (167.07) is running stable !

Good luck !

Hans-J. Ullrich