Re: Webcam from a chroot?

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 21:56 +0100, Davide Mancusi wrote:
> Hello hello,
>
> 	(I posted a similar message a few months ago on debian-user with no
> luck. Perhaps it is more appropriate to ask here.)
>
> 	I would like programs inside a 32-bit chroot to be able to access my
> USB webcam, which works fine outside the jail. From the chroot, however,
> it does not work out-of-the-box, nor do I know if it is at all possible
> to do it.
>
> 	An example of failure:
> This is xawtv-3.95.dfsg.1, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.21-amd64-bootsplash)
> xinerama 0: 1152x864+0+0
> /dev/video0 [v4l]: ioctl VIDIOCGCAP: Invalid argument
> no video grabber device available
>
> 	Oh, I am running sid. Any suggestion or advice is warmly appreciated.

The first thing I'd check is to make sure you that you have /dev
and /proc mounted inside the jail. You should have lines similar to this
in your /etc/fstab:

proc  /var/chroot/sid-ia32/proc  proc   defaults  0  0
/dev  /var/chroot/sid-ia32/dev   none   bind      0  0

(note that the "proc" line does NOT have a / before it)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837