screen freezes, ooffice with *.ppt, ATI, and xorg; was, Re: lenny amd64 for Desktop

I rebooted with xorg.conf disabled, and X autoconfigured to a higher resolution than I have been able to get before, so something has changed, for sure. I will carry on for a while, see if my crashes still occur, and report back.

Thanks very much, Don

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 12:38:34 -0500
From: hendrik@topoi.pooq.com
To: debian-amd64@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: lenny amd64 for Desktop

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 12:24:54PM -0500, Andrew Syrewicze wrote:
Open your Xorg configuration in a text editor. (/etc/X11/xorg.conf)

In the "Device" section.

You'll see Driver "ATI" for x.org driver

Or

Driver "fglrx" for ATI binary driver.

I thought the new xorg didn't need an xorg.conf file, though it uses it
if you have one.  Maybe renaming it temprarily to xorg.conf.donotuse
and rebooting would enable xorg to autoconfigure and maybe work
differently?

-- hendrik