Re: install Etch with raid level 10

On Wednesday 26 Sep 2007, C M Reinehr wrote:
> The main thing is that, strictly speaking, GRUB does not support RAID, so
> you need at least one non-RAID partition as a /boot partition. I say
> strictly speaking, because you can set up the /boot partition as RAID-1
> which will be invisible to GRUB bootloader in the MBR.

*No* bootloader supports any kind of RAID.  All any bootloader knows how to do
is read in the kernel and the initial ramdisk image from contiguous sectors,
and start up the kernel.

However, *if* you ensure that your whole /boot partition fits right within one
half-stripe of the RAID0 layer  (i.e. all on the same disk)  then this won't
matter  (except you'll have some wasted space on the other disk).  You can
easily copy the /boot partition manually to the other device in the RAID1
layer, using dd.  The motherboard will always boot from the same drive; then
once the kernel is running, the RAID array will be recognised as such and
maintained in sync with itself.

Also, *don't* use a RAID1 for swap space:  it impacts performance with little
practical benefit.  Use separate swap partitions from each drive  (just to
keep the partitioning schemes the same)  instead.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk