Re: install Etch with raid level 10

C M Reinehr wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 September 2007 09:21, Dave Ewart wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 26.09.2007 at 09:49 -0400, Scott Lair wrote:
> > > I tried to install Etch on AMD64 using raid level 10.  After I
> > > partitioned the drives, I went to create the md devices and could only
> > > choose from raid levels 0,1 or 5.  Should I be able to install with
> > > level 10?  I tried the latest netinst.iso and the cdrom install disk 1
> > > with the same results.
> >
> > There is no direct support for RAID-10 via software RAID, you have to
> > make yourself two RAID-1 arrays and then apply a second layer of
> > software RAID-0 over the top.
> >
> > The installer may not support RAID-10 directly because of the
> > multi-layer approach.
> >
> > Normally, one makes a RAID-10 software setup as follows:
> >
> > mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sd[ab]1
> > mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sd[cd]1
> > mdadm --create /dev/md2 --level=0 --raid-devices=2 /dev/md[01]
> >
> > I'd be interested to know if you can approach the installation in the
> > same way, actually.
> >
> > Dave.
>
> That's not entirely true. Etch does support RAID-10, just not the installer.
> What I would suggest is first to do a minimal installation to a small RAID-1
> partition, including GRUB to the MBR. Then, once you have booted into this
> system, use the system tools (cfdisk, mdadm, & lvm) to set up the rest of the
> drive(s) as RAID-10 (with or without LVM). Then, do a debootstrap
> installation of a complete system into this. Finally, your RAID-1 partition
> becomes your /boot partition. Not the most direct route, but it works.

That sounds like what I would like to do.  So the original installation gets
removed once the RAID-10 install is done correct?  I'm wondering about the
size of the initial installation partition.  I generally make /boot about
200Meg.  Do you think that would be enough for a minimal or should I go
bigger?

thanks much,

scott