Re: install Etch with raid level 10

Le Wednesday 26 September 2007 18:55:50 Lennart Sorensen, vous avez écrit :
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 06:53:16PM +0200, Gilles Mocellin wrote:
> > Instead of having md over md device, I suggest to do stripped LVM over
> > RAID 1. And it is supported during installation !
>
> But if you ever add more devices to the LVM you loose the stripe feature
> on those new additions (as far as I understand the LVM documentation).

As you can't choose on wich device your LV's PE goes, you have only 2 choice
to add space.
- If you want to add LVs, just make another VG with 2 new RAID 1 PVs.

- If you wan't to resize actual LVs on a full VG, you have to grow the RAIDs.
It's hard but I have donne it once, all online.
On a SAN, it's easy to resize a LUN, but if you use disks, you'll have to
replace the disks with bigger ones.

> No idea if you can resize raid0 or raid1.

You must use the --grow option of mdadm, and there's chances you'll have to
synchronise your RAID each time one RAID is grown.

If you can't replace your disks an only can add more disks, a backup/restore
will be required to recreate the stripped LVs across more RAID1 PVs.

Perhaps pvmove can help to switch to another VG without the backup/restore
phase.