Re: Kernel and Xen on an Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5320 processor

Le Tuesday 28 August 2007 08:05:59 GNUbie, vous avez écrit :
> Hello Jim,
>
> On 8/28/07, Jim Crilly <jim@why.dont.jablowme.net> wrote:
> > You can't give each VM (or domU in Xen terms) all of your memory so at
> > the very least you'll have to rethink that part of your setup.
>
> Then how will I allocate memory for each domU?  What's the best practice
> for this kind of setup?
>
> As for the CPUs,
>
> > Xen 3.0 and up does seem to support SMP domUs but I can't imagine it
> > would be a very good idea to give multiple domUs all 4 CPUs.
>
> What can you advice then based from your experience?
>
> If you have this kind of machine, how will you design your Xen domUs in
> such a way that you can properly utilize all your hardware components with
> the optimum performance for your network services as well as hosting
> different web domains you plan to deploy in a production environment?
>
> Please advice.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> GNUbie

Start simple :
- 1 vCPU per domU, try to let one for dom0, specially if it manages a complex
storage (soft RAID, DRBD, LVM, iSCSI...)
- Let at least 512Mo for dom 0, spread the rest on your domUs depending on
what they do. Good to know, you can change the memory allocated for a domU
online !

Make some tests, load tests.

If you know or you see that some tasks are slow because they can't be
parallelised, add a vCPU to the domU.

The essential here, is to know what your domUs will really do, and how much
you planned.