Re: Kernel and Xen on an Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5320 processor

On 08/28/07 10:23:41AM +0800, GNUbie wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have an Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5320 processor running a Debian GNU/Linux
> Etch and I am confused on two things mainly:
>
> [1]  Do I need to re-compile a new kernel to support SMP?  Currently, it's
> running the stock linux-image-2.6.18-5-amd64 kernel.
>
> [2]  I'm planning to install Xen on this machine so that I can create Xen
> images where the real network services will run on these images.  Do I need
> to compile the newest version of Xen and related packages onto this machine
> from its project page or re-compile the Debian GNU/Linux Etch's Xen sources
> onto this machine or just use whatever is available from the Debian
> GNU/Linux Etch repository?
>
> Basically, I want that my Xen images will see that they're also running on a
> machine that comes with these four (4) processors and 4GB RAM.

You can't give each VM (or domU in Xen terms) all of your memory so at the
very least you'll have to rethink that part of your setup. As for the CPUs,
Xen 3.0 and up does seem to support SMP domUs but I can't imagine it would
be a very good idea to give multiple domUs all 4 CPUs.

Jim.