Re: Problems booting with a new kernel (updated)

* Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda <lepalom@wol.es> [2007-07-19 18:32:35 +0200]:

> A Dijous 19 Juliol 2007 18:25, Lennart Sorensen va escriure:
> > > because the grub, after reboot doesn't detect this:
> > > splashimage=/boot/sid.bmp
> > > or
> > > splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/sid.bmp
> > >
> > > and the error that I have is the kernel blocked:
> > >
> > >  "Waiting for root file system"
> > >
> > > and after a console....
> >
> > Did you try comparing the config from your kernel and the one from the
> > 2.6.18 etch kernel?  Perhaps you left some important option out that
> > debian enables.
>
> yes, I normally create the new config from the original config from a debian
> kernel ... and assuming the rest ok.

I had a similar problem, trying to boot from SATA.  I finally ended up
just compiling the sata_nv driver into the kernel, instead of trying to
get it from initrd, initramfs, or yaird.  Never did figure out where I
was going wrong, all I did was copy the /boot/config... file to
/usr/src/linux/.config and do the make oldconfig thing..

--
Tux rox!