Problems booting with a new kernel (updated)

Hi,

I have compiled my own kernels since some time ago. Now I create my packages
with the make-kpkg command. But I'm having a problem with a 2.6.22 or 2.6.19
homemade kernel in a new amd64 box. The 2.6.18 kernenl from etch works ok.

I can compile and install the new kernel, and also update grub, but when I
reboot, first of all I don't like but I cannot put an splash image because
the grub, after reboot doesn't detect this:
splashimage=/boot/sid.bmp
or
splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/sid.bmp

Also I have tried to put:
root=UUID=ecd007d9-14b1-46c0-9cdb-7bdd1f0f5d80
or
root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/UUID=ecd007d9-14b1-46c0-9cdb-7bdd1f0f5d80

the kernel is compiled with --initrd  and the ext3 (where the rootfs resides
is formated) in included in the kernel. Really I don't know what to do.
Anybody has some idea about it?

Regards,

Leo

Added)

I forget to say that I have also to recreate the init with the
update-initramfs -k

and the error that I have is the kernel blocked:

 "Waiting for root file system"

and after a console....

Linux User 152692
Catalonia