Re: Ideas why dvd playback is jerky?

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 10:19:09AM -0700, Kenward Vaughan wrote:

> > Sounds like you have a bad dvd drive (or badly configured IDE (e.g.
> > no DMA)).
>
> The results are the same whether on my reader/burner or my read-only
> drive.  Perhaps the DMA part (though dma is apparently configured)?
>
> hpotter:/home/daddy# cat /proc/ide/hda/settings |grep -i dma using_dma
> 0               0               1               rw

Like Lennart said: DMA is off. hdparm -d1 /dev/hdx might turn it on (but
again like Lennart said: might depend on ide driver).

> > Copy the DVD to HD (or a chapter with mencoder) and see if that does
> > anything for performance.
>

> Sorry, but how do I do that?  Using dd?  (All my computing knowledge is
> built up--hobbyist level...)

dd can be problematic with original discs due to CSS. mencoder is more
likely to work:
mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -vf harddup -o out.mpg dvd://1 -chapter 1-1
(optionally: -dvd-device /dev/whatever)

--

 When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

   Daniel Tryba