Re: deciding on a new amd64 system

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 06:02:02AM +0000, Sam Varghese wrote:
> I have used both Intel and AMD dual-core and find AMD better for my work;
> I'm basing this on one thing, the speed of processing video files.

Which intel?  The P4 was a piece of #$@#$ design wise.  The Core 2 is
nothing like it.  The Core 2 seems to beat the Athlon 64 X2 on
everything.  The P4/Pentium D hardly ever beat the X2 on anything.

> I had an ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard but the graphics cooler died and I
> could only get a GA-K8NF-9 as replacement.

Graphics cooler?  What does that have to do with A8N-SLI?

> I've found the smaller WD drives to be flaky; the bigger SATA ones are as
> good or as bad as Seagate. You won't find drives of the quality of the
> Quantum Fireball anymore.

I was so annoyed when Quentum moved the HD business to maxtor. :(

> First thing after building, boot from a Knoppix live CD and run memtest to
> pick up any memory errors. I agree about Kingston.

The experience of many people (at least on Athlon 64 systems and
Opterons) is that memtest will not catch a lot of problems caused by ram
that isn't quite compatible with the amd memory controller.  Perhaps it
is ram that isn't quite up to the spec it claims to be.  The AMD memory
controller seems to expect things to do what they claim and drives them
to the limit (good for perforamnce after all).  Best way to find out if
ram is causing a problem is to swap it out with something else and see
if the problem goes away in that case.