Re: deciding on a new amd64 system

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 03:00:01PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> [...]
> > Intel's architecture requires use of the external bus, and AMD's design
> > just plain scaled better. Or something. Then fast forward to today,
> > where apparently Intel's Core 2 Duo is apparently kicking the pants off
> > AMD... how did this happen? Is Intel really all that much better?
>
> The Core 2 Duo has an internal connection between the two cores (they
> are a single die) just as the Athlon 64 X2 does.  The Core 2 Quad has
> two Core 2 Duo dies attached together using the front side bus.  So for
> a quad design, the Core 2 is similar to the dual core design intel did
> with the Pentium 4 (aka Pentium D).  The Core 2 is based on the
> Pentium-M core which goes back to the PPro (it is derived from the P6
> core).  The pipeline is in the low to mid teens, unlike the netburst
> which managed to go past 30 stages (great for clock frequency, bad for
> dealing with conditional branches).  So in terms of design, the Core 2
> has a lot more similarity with the Athlon than the Pentium 4, except it
> is a bit more modern and has some clever tricks, which makes it able to
> run faster than the Athlon 64 at the same clock speed.  Hopefully those
> improvements AMD is promising in the next version of the Athlon 64 will
> in fact give them the same or hopefully better performance per clock
> than the Core 2 Duo.
>
> > Also, I only really hear comparisons between the Core 2 Duo and Athlon.
> > How about Opteron? Is the Opteron still a good choice for servers? Or
> > has Xeon leapt ahead there too?
>
> The Opteron is an Athlon 64, except it (usually) uses registered memory
> (allows more banks of memory in the server, at a slight speed penalty).
> Current Xeon's are Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quads, with a different bus
> speed (I believe they tend to run 1333MHz effective bus rather than the
> 1066MHz of the Core 2 desktop chips).  Xeon's also usually have more
> cache.  Of course the opteron has the fast hypertransport link between
> cpus, and per cpu memory controllers, so the memory bandwidth is better
> on the opteron with lower latency, which is why the opteron still scales
> better than the xeon.  For single or dual cpu the xeon is usually
> fastest, but for 4 or more cpus the opteron is better off since the xeon
> still has to share a single bus to the chipset for all the cpus while
> the opteron has the hypertransport links between cpus instead for memory
> accesses and only has to use the link to the chipset for accessing
> devices.  Adding opterons and memory gives more overall memory
> bandwidth.  Adding cpus to a xeon system doesn't add bandwidth, just
> processing power.  Until intel some day gets an on chip memory
> controller.
>
> > Sorry for the ignorance. I don't pay much attention to hardware stuff in
> > between computer purchases. Last time I really looked was in 2005 or so.
>
> Lots has happened.  It is nice to have some competition between AMD and
> intel to keep them both going, although I like to root for AMD being the

I think it is very much horse for courses, I have seen intel dual & quad cores
perform really well with some applications and I have seen AMD x2 outperform
intel quad cores.  The one that really stick to my mind is some testing done by
a rendering house, the amd x2 outperformed the intel single, dual and quad core
chips.